Wargame Rules

BLOG BACKGROUND AND WARGAME RULES
I have set up this blog for my wargaming interests in the Muscovite-Tartar Wars, Reconquista Wars, the Barbary Coast Pirates, and the early campaigns of the Ottoman Turks and Saracens. Some lesser known crusades will also be covered. Miniatures are mainly 28mm with a growing collection in 54mm. If my photographs serve to encourage others to complete their collections I shall be pleased. I will also be mentioning other sites with interesting collections on the above. Do join the 'Friends' if you like what you see.

I prefer to use my own rules which are kept simple and involve eight-sided dice. These allow for fast results with various types of weaponry. Morale dominates my games.


Sunday 17 September 2017

Muscovite 'German' regiments 17th century

Strange how a frugal, waste-not policy can produce some interesting and useful ideas. A friend recently gave me a parcel of unwanted ECW figures. It comprised 22 pikemen in helmets, 7 pikemen in wool hats, and 9 musketeers in wool hats. Having removed the flash and undercoated them, I began to contemplate how they might be integrated, I'm not planning on an ECW collection. Several sources for the Muscovites referred to mercenary regiments of pike and arquebus that were raised in the 17th century. Styled 'German', but actually recruited from many nationalities, they were apparently dressed in typical European gear. My helmeted figures were a touch on the small scale but a piece of card sorted out that problem. I may have taken a slight liberty in granting the two pike blocks a generous measure of uniformity, but it is meant to be a fun collection. Later I will recruit some helmeted musketeers to go with them. Officially, these regiments mustered 600 pike and 900 muskets so units of 12 pike and 18 with firearms will suit my plans. The flags are based on some surviving 17th century examples. Concerning the remaining figures, I'm looking at converting them into a small force of Muscovite renaissance naval crew. MGB

6 comments:

  1. This is a good use for cast off figures. Pikemen look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. There is something stimulating working on a budget, and nostalgic in converting. It reminds me of the fun I had with Airfix kits and figures some forty years ago! I'm also having some progress creating a naval crew which I will report back on soon. Cheers, Michael

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Willie, the castings are a bit dated by modern standards but its fun to make something out of them. I remember buying the same pikeman in 1978 from Harrow Model Shop, and here I am again. Regards,
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Nice, useful European infantry, waste not want not!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, there is a real pleasure in trying to bring the best out of castings, particularly those that have a nostalgic status as well. I also like making buildings and terrain features out of waste cardboard etc.
      Regards,
      Michael

      Delete